Just when is it the right time to take a career break?
So you have developed your career to the level it’s at. If you leave now to focus on exploring your other passions, will this damage your resume or hurt your career development in the future?
Whether you want to go on an adventure and travel (after the Covid-19 restrictions are lifted of course), take time to write a book, volunteer or even start your own business, it’s a tough decision to step out of your career.
In Kim Orlesky’s case, she had climbed up the corporate ladder in various corporate organizations such as American Express, establishing a successful sales career. And although she had the salary she wanted and even managed to work remotely from home to have more balance in her life, eventually she was prompted to change life paths.
It wasn’t until Kim went through a breakup with her partner at the time, that she realized she wanted and needed a break from her life routine.
So in 2014, she decided to go traveling to go backpacking. And after six months of travel she wrote a book and decided to go it alone and create her own very inspirational sales company.
In this interview, Kim shares how she went through one of her toughest decisions in taking a career break from a well-balanced and successful career, what she learnt from travelling solo, how this inspired her to:
- Write several successful books
- Start a highly-praised blog
- Create her own flourishing business in the industry she loved
- Meet Oprah Winfrey!
Kim is president of K.O. Advantage group. She’s been named LinkedIn’s top sales influencer to follow in 2019. She was success magazine’s most inspirational blogger. She was a female entrepreneur of the year by startup Canada, was named one of the most influential sales leaders by lead Fuse.
- Kim Orlesky’s website – with information about Kim’s events, her books and the awesome KO Sales University she runs to train small businesses and entrepreneurs how to sell what they care about effectively and get $ fast and happy customers.
- Finding (My)Self (Love): One Girl’S Journey of 17 Countries Across 4 Continents in 6 Months – Kim Orlesky
- How to Be a Nomad: Go from Business Suit to World Backpacker – Kim Orlesky
- Sell More. Faster.: The Premium Solution Sales Process for Getting the Premium Price – Kim Orlesky