The McGehren Group mostly deals with leaders at the C-suite level (CEO, CTO, CFO, CIO) all throughout Europe, the US and South America.
As well as managing his recruitment firm, George also coaches leaders on both their branding for career and their career paths. He decided to start a business, literally at the unemployment office, waiting to learn how much his employment check would be after getting laid off back in the year 2000, 20 years ago.
In this interview, I pick this executive recruiter’s brains on the job market now post Covid-19 and his incredible mindsets and principles for a career change at the executive level. We discuss:
- How George decided on the business he’s in now and what’s the risk of setting up a business versus taking the employment route
- How careers are like relationships and how to turn toxic ones into great lessons and opportunities
- Being in the right career ‘vehicle’ and how that can transform how happy and fulfilled you are
- How taking real responsibility for money management can alleviate your worries even when things like Covid and recession hit
- Being present with people, the value of time versus chasing more and more money
- Being in a financial prison even as a high-earning executive and how to restore balance in life
- 4 tips to shift your mindset so you approach jobhunting the right way during Covid
- How to pivot your skills into a new industry or a new career
- Getting ‘The Unfair Advantage’ in your job search
- The practice of building resilience
- What’s the one thing that makes George McGehrin burn from within?
More interviews, videos and programs to help you through career or life rebalance are available at burnfromwithin.com
- McGehrin Group – if you are an executive looking for a new challenge or career, George and his team at The McGehrin Group have incredible connections and you will be impressed with their personal touch and expertise.
- George McGehrin’s LinkedIn – the best way to speak directly to George about anything we discussed on the show. Just send him a message or connection request with a note saying you heard him on the Burn From Within podcast and he is very approachable and will aim to support you where he can.
- Ramit Sethi – the personal finance guru George spoke about in this episode that really helped him wake up to managing money in a new way. This contributed greatly to be in a strong position for when Covid-19 hit, where he actually was hiring not firing, unlike during the big recession of 2009 when George lost everything. Money management principles from this man Ramit Sethi was a huge factor in this step up to security.